SYC Junior Training is not a commercial enterprise. It is staffed by appropriately-qualified volunteers who rely upon the support and cooperation of parents for the smooth and safe running of the Friday sessions.
Parents are responsible for ensuring that:
- Their child owns and wears suitable clothing including: buoyancy aid, wetsuit, wetsuit boots & gloves, hat and waterproofs.
- Their child’s boat is: seaworthy, registered with the Club Berth Marshall (whether it is kept at SYC or not) and is insured in accordance with Club rules.
- Their child abides by the safety rules. (These will be issued at the 1st training session each year)
Parents must remain at the club during the whole session and help with the following activities:
- Assisting their children in rigging, de-rigging and storage of all club and their own boats.
- Launching, recovery and storage of safety boats – bring suitable clothing and be prepared to get wet!
- Launching and recovery of club and junior boats – again bring suitable clothing.
- Perform two Junior Sailing galley duties and one Junior Sailing bar duty. These duties are in addition to the club duties which form part of the conditions of membership of Starcross Yacht Club.
- Junior membership depends on parents fulfilling duties such as galley duties, assisting with safety boats, clearing up etc. Failure may lead to exclusion in future years.
There must be a parent or guardian present during all Junior Sailing events. If both parents are absent then a Club member must be nominated as temporary guardian.