We may be able to start using the Club facilities again soon, but not yet.
A decision as to whether the River Exe can be opened for leisure sailing will be made by the Harbourmaster on Wednesday May 13th based on regulations published today in the Government’s Recovery Strategy.
As of today May 11th at 17.00, England is still in lockdown, unlimited exercise will be allowed from Wednesday 13th and some sports will be allowed. The RYA understands water sports are included but has not conﬁrmed it. In every case social distancing measures must be observed.
We have to be patient, we will return to sailing soon but the last thing we want is a second wave of infections and the re-introduction of total lockdown.
You will be informed as soon as things change. Please look at the Members' page on the website for messages.
The General Committee has spent some time putting together and implementing a plan of action which will enable everybody to safely use Club facilities and boats. Unfortunately we cannot return to things as they were. Coronavirus has changed all that. We hope to have lots of Free Sailing days with safety boat cover through the coming months. The Sailing Committee are looking at how some limited racing events might be held, and an update on this will be provided later.
The following changes will be introduced from this week:
- The Club can only fully open after the river and estuary re-open for leisure use. The Harbourmaster is working hard at doing that. Social distancing must be observed at all times.
- Disinfectant and sanitisers will be provided at strategic points around the Club.
- Double-handed boats will not be permitted to sail unless by known cohabiting persons. No exceptions
- The Club house and Galley will remain closed to avoid social “nearness”. Members will have to bring food and drink for their own consumption.
- Safety boats will be manned by cohabiting Members. Safety boats will not be launched and sailing will not be permitted if the forecast windspeed is over 14 knots. This is to avoid the necessity of rescuing capsized crew. A tow ashore is permissible.
- The race box and equipment will be reorganised to ensure social distancing when using internal equipment, with the possibility of providing raised external seating for those duty oﬃcers who prefer not to be enclosed within the conﬁnes of the race box.
- Until further notice the use of the changing rooms and toilets will be strictly limited.These areas will be mostly cordoned oﬀ but the toilets will be available for use with discretion.
- 14 Club boats and sail sets are available for hire. Payment terms and methods have been modiﬁed to speed up and simplify the process of hiring. Disinfectant and sanitisers are available for use on these boats.