Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Prostate Cancer - what happens if you've got it. Sunday 29th Sept after racing

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago#3307by Jonathan Gosling
What is Prostate Cancer and what happens if you’ve got it?

Sunday 29th September at 11:00 am after racing (or earlier if racing cancelled for some reason), in the clubhouse.

Dear fellow SYC sailors, I've had prostate cancer this year - diagnosed a year ago this week - and have spoken to several people at the club about it all: symptoms, tests, diagnosis, treatments, after-effects and onwards. I’m not shy about any of it, and as prostate cancer is one of those quite likely to affect many of us in the club, I’m offering a chance to find out about it, ask questions for yourself or on behalf of someone else. I will speak from my experience and what I’ve learned from my particular treatment.

Paul Kelly, our former Commodore (and Merlin sailor), is a clinical professional in this field, and will be there to talk about the general aspects. Welcome to men and women. And if you can’t get there on Sunday but want to talk anyway please feel free to get in touch. 

Jonathan Gosling, Hurricane 207
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jonathan Gosling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago#3324by Jonathan Gosling
Thanks to Paul Kelly for so expertly hosting this - 21 men met in the Members room for a run-down of symptoms, tests and a brief overview of treatments and life after them. 

I'll happily answer any further questions ([email protected]) or point you to   prostatecanceruk.org which has up to date info on the stats and new tests and treatments. Worth noting that Exeter's RD&E is a national centre of excellence in this field.

If any women reading this have questions I'll be happy to respond too. I know from experience that it helps a lot to have a partner, daughter or sister who knows a bit about it ... 

JG

More
4 years 5 months ago#3325by Oliver Greenslade
Jonathan - a big thanks for sharing your experiences with us.  It was heart-warming to see so many middle aged blokes in a room together talking in such a way, led by you. Potentially life-saving stuff, well done.

Olly Greenslade

More
4 years 5 months ago#3341by Paul Kelley
Always happy and available to chat about any queries members may have concerning this subject but more appropriately and importantly, I would highly recommend that you do make an appointment to see your GP should you have any symptoms or questions you perhaps are concerned about and assuredly he or she, will be more than happy to discuss with you - you will not be waisting their time in the least . 

Paul .