We want all our members to get the most fun and enjoyment from sailing, whether in dinghies, multihulls or yachts. Formal and informal training is a great way to learn new skills and develop existing ones. All aspects are covered from racing to cruising or just pottering about on the Exe Estuary.
Training at Starcross Yacht Club
Formal Royal Yachting Association (RYA) courses and informal training are available throughout the year for beginners and those wanting to improve their sailing skills. We also offer powerboat courses for members volunteering for safety boat duties or as dinghy instructors.
If you have any general questions about training at SYC, contact the SYC Training Officer.
Our courses and training are for all SYC members regardless of background, physical or learning ability.
We occasionally offer places to non-members on payment of a temporary membership fee.
We take safeguarding very seriously. There’s always an independent person to talk to confidentially about any concerns. Details of the SYC safeguarding team members can be found on posters in the clubhouse, Members’ Room and changing rooms.
You can read our full policy in the SYC Safeguarding and Equality Statement.
Browse the full list of courses we can offer at SYC to find the course that best meets your needs and ability.
Not all courses will run each year and some will need a minimum number of people. In some cases, your name may be placed on a waiting list.
You can enquire or request a course from the contacts shown below.
- Youth sailing beginners and advanced (RYA Youth Sailing Stages 1-4 and race coaching) courses – SYC Junior Sailing Coordinator
- Adult sailing beginner (RYA Levels 1 and 2) courses – Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre - tel. 01392 400150 (these courses are delivered at SYC)
- Adult sailing improver and advanced courses (Better Sailing (Level 3); Seamanship Skills; Day Sailing; Sailing with Spinnakers) – SYC Training Officer
- RYA Race Coaching (RYA Start Racing; Intermediate; Advanced; Club Race Officer) – SYC Training Officer
- SYC Race Box training – SYC Sailing Secretary
- RYA Dinghy Instructor courses – SYC Training Officer
- RYA First Aid and Short Range Marine Radio (VHF) Certificate courses – SYC Training Officer
- RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship; Day Skipper, Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean shore-based theory courses – available online from several companies including Kipper Sailing; Sunsail; Navathome
- RYA Powerboat Handling (Level 2) and Safety Boat courses – SYC Training Officer
SYC Fleet Captains also organise coaching sessions for their fleets. Please contact the relevant Fleet Captain for more information.
Booking a course
Use the booking arrangements given by each provider.
RYA Youth Sailing courses are delivered during SYC Junior Sailing on Friday evenings between March and July. Please contact the Junior Sailing Co-ordinator by the beginning of March to reserve a Junior Sailing place.
For all other SYC-run courses, contact the SYC Training Officer to reserve a place or add your name to a waiting list. If a place is available you will be asked to complete and return the SYC booking form to the SYC Training Officer.
Please ensure that you read the booking terms and conditions.
Take a look at our handy tips to help you get the most from any course you book.
Training costs and grant funding
We aim to make the cost of training affordable to all members.
All members (excluding temporary members) are eligible for Exe Regatta Project grants of up to 50% of all sailing and powerboat course fees, subject to availability, regardless of where the course was taken.
New members joining SYC after completing an RYA Level 1 or 2 sailing course with Haven Banks Outdoors Education Centre are eligible for £50 off the first year joining fee.
If you have a sailing question or you’re a bit rusty with your sailing skills and need some help, please contact the SYC Training Officer. The training officer will put you in touch with a member who can help, whether it’s dinghy, catamaran or yacht sailing.
We’re always looking for volunteers to help with training. Take a look at our volunteer page to see what roles are available. If you’re interested in a volunteer role, please contact the SYC Training Officer.