Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Please consider ammending Hurricane result

More
1 year 8 months ago#6315by David Lee
Replied by David Lee on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Given the OOD did not provide a printed copy of the results and you were therefore not aware of the situation before the time limit, there is a good case that this omission affected the result.  On that basis I think it's probable a protest committee would consider a protest submitted after the official time limit.  

Merlin Rocket 3779 The Angels' Share
Merlin Rocket 3546 Gilt Complex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago#6316by james fellows
Replied by james fellows on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
HI all, seams a lot of fuss about nothing to me.
I come to the club to enjoy sailing more than count points. I had no idea you could not race at the club with only a helm in the hurricane fleet, although if conditions are apropriate i am more than happy to sail single handed. I woud always only go on the water if i feel i can get back independantly and it is safe to go out.

If the rules are as discussed please retire me from the race. I realy enjoyed the race on wednesday it was nice to have suffcient wind to finish and lie on the trampoline in the evening sun for an hour. Fingers crossed for some wind on sunday although i dont hold out much hope. Then off to the nationals for some fun and games.

Cheers
james

More
1 year 8 months ago#6328by Graham Buxton-Smith
Replied by Graham Buxton-Smith on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
John Donovan has managed to find the Hurricane rules for me. See below. 

I now have a copy of the rules  – the relevant rule is 13, which I have copied below.

13.1 The racing crew shall consist of two people. Both shall have one foot in contact with the boat at all time when racing.

So this obviously excludes using the Hurricane single handed when racing and also jumping up and down when you get frustrated !!

Hope that helps

More
1 year 8 months ago#6329by Grant Boorer
Replied by Grant Boorer on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Thanks Graham for the information.

Does that mean that for club racing that we also need to follow the specific class rules. Would there be any potential other rules that could conflict with SYCs race rules?

Just a thought.

More
1 year 8 months ago#6330by Graham Buxton-Smith
Replied by Graham Buxton-Smith on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Hi Grant, not that l know of.  Will talk to John Donovan.  The sailing commitee agreed that the Hurricane could be a Club Class after long discussions.  Conditions were set.  Detailed "paper"records have probably been lost. When l bought one l was told l had to have a crew to race and get points inline with Club and  Hurricane Class rules.
Cheers Graham

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago#6331by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Grant

ABSOLUTELY - the club Notice of Race / Sailing Instructions (in common with practically every other set of sailing instructions) has always had a clause to link the relevant class rules (all of them!) into our rules.  See Section 7  - "Each competitor is responsible for ensuring that their boat complies with class rules and regulations."

The hierarchy of rules is RRS, then RYA national provisions, then class rules, and finally any local SYC rules.  Unless there is an explicit exception stated in our documents you must comply with all rules for your class.  I can't see how it could be any other way - otherwise what's to stop me sailing without the 16Kg of lead correctors in my Merlin - or sticking a B14 spinnaker on it (now there's an idea!).

In the past we have had 'temporary exceptions' to class rules in our SIs.  The last one I can remember was for the Hornet class - allowing them to trial a new spinnaker design - before it was adopted by the class.  At one point John Donovan discussed having an exception for the smaller mainsail option on the Hurricane - but I think it was decided to try and get it adopted as part of the class rules.

If you wanted to sail your RS200 out of class (e.g. single handed), then there is nothing to stop you requesting the Sailing Committee to recognise a new "RS200- SH" class - and agree a PY number for it.  Again, we already have examples of pseudo-classes that have been recognised for racing (Mirror - SH, National 12 - DB, Merlin Rocket - Wood).

Mark
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Mark Elkington.