Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

shallow water (bank)

More
1 month 1 week ago#7605by stephen harling
shallow water (bank) was created by stephen harling
Today race at the Lympstone lake mark was set in very shallow  water and the merlin fleet rudders  were hitting the bottom very hard and as a result the rudders were coming up making sailing difficult especially with spinnakers up, there was almost a serious collision between Mark Elkington and myself today .I had a conversation with John Allen after todays race about depth gauge sticks which he informed me are always in the  rescue boats. So please can Race offices ask rescue boat crews for depth of water checks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago#7608by David Lee
Replied by David Lee on topic shallow water (bank)
I agree.  The shallow water on the gybe mark did impact the racing yesterday and I believe there were a couple of near misses due to boats struggling to maintain control with their rudders partially up.  

I think OODs / safety boat crews should check the water depth as a matter of course (no pun intended!) whenever laying a mark at Bank or Lympstone Lake. 

Merlin Rocket 3779 The Angels' Share
Merlin Rocket 3546 Gilt Complex

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago#7609by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic shallow water (bank)
Given we were racing close to HW with a 2.9m tide the extent of the shallows was a bit of a surprise to me.  Has the channel changed over the winter?.  Definitely  something for OODs to consider when setting courses.  Perhaps look for the low tide courses on raceManager when dealing with HW levels lower than 3.0m.
Mark
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Mark Elkington.

More
1 month 1 week ago#7610by Paul Kelley
Replied by Paul Kelley on topic shallow water (bank)
Dear All, thank you for posting your recommendations concerning depth of water when laying race marks .

I am only sorry that you experienced these issues during the race rounding the bank mark but that I am relived collisions where avoided !

I will ensure they are highlighted at the the next Sailing Committee for further debate and consideration.

I think the depths are checked if there is a concern but that the river is ever evolving and like Mark, I was also surprised it was so shallow there too .

We will certainly endeavour to avoid similar problems with navigating race marks .

Paul .