Bar Duty Guidance
Important new information, August 2023
Members are requested to carry out a duty at least twice a year. This is to ensure that services the Club offers its members, in this case Bar Duty, can be carried out smoothly. You are providing a service today that someone else will provide for you in the following weeks.
If you cannot do your duty on the set day, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to contact another member on the Dutyman rota and swap with them. Alternatively, put something on the club website forum, the Galley Committee cannot undertake your duty or find someone for you. If all else fails, email The Galley / Bar coordinator at <
The Bar is there to provide hot and cold drinks and snacks for members during club sailing times. “Bar Duty” now covers responsibility for serving drinks and taking payment for all items sold by the galley and the bar using the Payment Tablet and Card Reader.
Cash is rarely taken these days.
Please note that our Health and Safety Insurance requires that no children under the age of 14 are allowed in the galley.
For licensing reasons, no children under the age of 18 may be served with alcohol. Only persons doing the bar rota or club officers may go behind the bar. Members are not allowed to help themselves or run up a tab.
Glasses should be collected up and put in the dishwasher and washed during and at the end of each duty. The dishwasher needs to be switched on approximately 20 minutes before it is needed so that the water can heat. Instructions for use are on the wall and in the Galley. After use the dishwasher must be drained of water by removing the plug from the bottom and left empty of water. The machine must also be switched off to ensure power is not wasted.
The Club holds what is known as a "Club Premises Certificate" which is different to other types of licence in that there is no named licensee. However, the Club is still restricted in the hours in which alcohol can be served. These hours are 10:00 to 23:00 on Monday to Saturday and 12:00 to 22:30 on Sunday (with slight changes for Good Friday and Christmas Day). Alcohol must not be sold outside of these times.
BAR OPENING PROCEDURE
- An SYC Bar Handbook is on the counter with important information
- Milk is now kept in the Bar Store Fridge Door
- Make sure the hot water boiler is switched on. The main switch is behind the boiler. Push the boost button to increase the timer to 4 hours. There will be an illuminated sign on the water heater advising “Change Filter”. This is an error signal and should be ignored. The boiler turns off after the selected time.
- Turn on the dishwasher on the right-hand side of the bar counter.
- A key to the bar store is located at the back of the microwave shelf.
- We do not encourage cash payment any longer. We cannot give change so whatever is proffered is the price of the item.
- Familiarize yourself with the Square App on the payment Tablet.Instructions for use are in the Handbook on the counter.
WASH YOUR HANDS
- Clean all surfaces with antibacterial spray and disposable blue paper towels.
- To ease the workload on busy days, like Sundays, it is advisable to use the white water urn which if not already in place is stored on the top shelf of the Bar Store.
- Fill the silver Thermos jug with milk, this keeps it cool, arrange sugar and teaspoons on the counter with the tea urn. Add spoons and a bowls for used tea bags and spoons.
- Put out food items on counter. Include sweets, biscuits and some crisps from the bar store containers. Please return unsold products to these rodent proof containers at the end of service.
- Read fresh coffee maker instructions
Fill the coffee machine with water and make one jug to start with
Please use small white cups and saucers for this coffee.
- Place all used glasses in the bar dishwasher. Instructions are by the dishwasher or in the folder located above the galley dishwasher.
- You are taking payment for food as well as drinks, all items are listed on the Tablet and on the printed price list. If you get really busy and a queue builds, ask one of the Galley volunteers if they can help out, either distributing preloaded cups or operating the Tablet.
- Check drinks chiller and restock anything that is getting low. There are reserves in the fridge in the bar store. If necessary, use stock from the shelf.
- Prices for alcoholic drinks are on the sheet, located on bar counter
BAR CLOSING PROCEDURE
- Empty and switch off dishwasher.
- Clean all surfaces with antibacterial wipes and disposable blue paper towel.
- All used tea towels to be put in laundry basket by small freezer.
- Please empty all tea bags, food wrappers etc. into a bin with liner. Remove the liner, tie it off and put in the green waste bin outside the galley door. This is to prevent rodents getting a free meal. Also pour away unused milk and put sweets and biscuits back in the Bar Store containers for the same reason.
- If members want to pay for boat hire, trolley wheels etc. check the Tablet. Most items are listed alphabetically. We do not want to accept cash except by prior arrangement.
- Please make a note in the daily log book (next to the bar flap) of anything that has run out, running low, or is faulty, broken or otherwise requires attention.
- Any accidents or incidents are to be reported in the incident book to be found in members room.
- FINALLY. If you have a real problem you can’t solve or are unsure of something, call me, Ian Purvis, on 0775 188 3819. Use the landline phone on the partition wall if you wish.
Ian Purvis, Galley Coordinator
21 August 2023
Printer-friendly PDF version of this document (NB hard-copy instructions are on bar counter)
For the avoidance of all doubt, the Square Terminal Card Machine has been retired from use except for Open Meetings and emergencies. Members on normal Bar Duty use the Tablet instead from now on.