Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Wednesday Evening (13th April)

More
2 years 3 weeks ago#6032by Alistair Glen
Wednesday Evening (13th April) was created by Alistair Glen
It's a technicality, I know but both the Slow and Multi races should have been abandoned last night and I understand that 'technical uncertainty' prevented that happening. However, as both 'non-races' are shown as having been sailed they affect the numbers of races that a competitor will have to sail to qualify for the series (not that it's likely to effect me as I seldom qualify for any series but that's not the point!). Can the races in question be retrospectively abandoned or declared 'void' in some way?

Well done Dick and Sam for being the only finishers on a long and frustrating evening for many.

Alistair

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago#6033by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Wednesday Evening (13th April)
Hi Alistair
Nick and I discussed this last night and I suggested not 'abandoning' the races as that might scrub Dick/Sam's result.  Currently raceManager doesn't allow you to explicitly abandon individual fleets within a race - which clearly it should do.  I'll take a look to see if I can find a workaround that will achieve what you suggest - might take a little while though.  I think just removing all the entrants for the fleets with no finishers or marking them as DNC "might" work.

Mark

More
2 years 3 weeks ago#6036by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Wednesday Evening (13th April)
Mark,

My concern is that by allowing the race to stand it adds to the number of races sailed and therefore affects the number of races needed to qualify in the series. It's irrelevant whether those who set forth get DNF or DNC, the race still 'exists' as part of the series and we have all now got a discard of, in this case, 11pts. If you remove all the entrants would it become a 'null' race and not exist in the view of the system? That would work.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago#6037by Mark Elkington
Yes I understood your concern.  I 'think' if I remove all entrants it should ignore the race for that fleet - but as you might imagine this is what we might term an "edge case" and I'm sure I didn't test the code for this.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago#6038by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Wednesday Evening (13th April)
An 'edge case'? Do you mean we are peering into the abyss?

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago#6039by Mark Elkington
Nope - software engineering term meaning "bugger - I forgot about that" :-)
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by Mark Elkington.