Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

To Sail or Not to Sail?

More
3 years 5 months ago#4520by mikea49
Replied by mikea49 on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
Some clubs like Thorpe Bay and Welsh Harp are interpreting club as the actual club house and the dinghy park and slipways are free for individuals to use. Currently you can launch a boat anywhere on the river except at SYC, kite surfers proliferate, kyaks and paddle boards are numerous and dinghies are launching from Exe boat park - social distancing is the key to getting this virus under control and I beleive SYC has shown very good adherence to this as we are responsible group of people that have no desire to get ill - but it appears the RYA believes we are not to be trusted now,  while elsewhere on public slipways anything goes because there is no control and club oversight. I'm with Mark, the logic defeats me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago#4521by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
If anybody is launching from Exe SC they are doing so in contravention of the instructions on the ESC website...

'Can club boat parks and slipways remain open?Our understanding is that boat parks and their slipways are part of a sporting facility and its amenities and therefore must be closed. However, we believe those that are situated in public outdoor places are not subject to the closure restrictions.'

I agree that I struggle with the logic behind HMG's decision, likewise with golf courses.

A

More
3 years 5 months ago#4541by Nigel Howe
Replied by Nigel Howe on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
Hi Ian,

My feeling is that If it is deemed to be within government guidelines, we should allow club members to use the slipway which is no different to using any other slipway ,either public or private.

Whist writing, please count me in on the next  Zoom  GCM.

Keep safe.

Nigel