Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change

More
5 years 10 months ago#2179by Jim Gorrod
Replied by Jim Gorrod on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
I have recently acquired an RS200 but having only done a couple of Sunday races so far I don’t really have a strong view as to which fleet they are in. Whatever the decision is I hope to be out as often as I can to boost the numbers. On a different but related point I am very pleased to see the proposals to add a junior start. I have two kids who are keen to do more racing (topper/oppy) and this will allow them to do that without having to travel to events.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago#2180by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Hi Jim
Good to hear that we have a new RS200 in the club. I spent several great seasons sailing with my kids in an RS200 - it is a really good boat for SYC.
I don't know whether your two kids sail on the Friday night junior sessions but from my experience with my kids, they have more confidence and enjoyment racing when they do it in "packs" - so if you get a chance to encourage others in their friday night training groups to give Sunday/Wednesday racing a try that would be great.
regards
Mark

More
5 years 9 months ago#2190by Rod Freer
Replied by Rod Freer on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
Hi I have a Full Sprit which I sail single handed, would this be allowed and what would the Pn be.
Regards

Rod Freer 2721

More
5 years 9 months ago#2191by Mark Elkington
Hi Rod
I haven't come across a "Full Sprit" class before - can you send me a link to some information about the boat.

The general principle is that any boat should be allowed to race under the Portsmouth Handicap system. If it doesn't have a PN (which I'm pretty sure the Full Sprit doesn't) then a provisional PN can be allocated by the sailing committee based on comparison with similar boats, or by participating in some test races.

I'm at the club most race days in Merlin 3797 - I'll be happy to talk through how we could handle this and how to enter a race.

Mark

More
5 years 9 months ago#2218by stephen harling
Replied by stephen harling on topic Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change
I personally think keeping all the asymmetric dinghies together, the single handed together and the conventional spinnaker boats together makes perfect sense as I find that some of the single handed boats have a detrimental effect in our fast handicap fleet.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago#2219by Mark Elkington
Thanks Steve - I suspect the single handed folks might think those of us sailing our clinker sheds take up a bit too much room as well :-).

It seems like the general concept of the change is sound - but there are some boats that might suffer from the change e.g:

Aero 9 - generally going to be leading the proposed slow/single handed fleet by quite a margin (though the new Farr 3.7 might give them a run for their money when the wind is up). Would they prefer to remain in the fast handicap.

RS200 - an argument could be made for class to be in any of the three fleets - but they are going to be some way behind in the Asymmetric and Fast Handicap fleets, and would at least have boat on boat racing in the slow handicap against H2, Aero 7s etc..

Fast Handicap Remainers (!) - if the split comes in at a PN 1020 the fleet on Sundays will essentially be a couple of Hornets, a Fireball, and the Merlins; the racing is great in the Merlins at the moment but we'll need to keep the numbers up to make it viable.

Anyway keep your views coming. If you want to put a 'consensus' class view to the sailing committee make sure your fleet captain is briefed accordingly before the next meeting on 31 July.

regards

Mark
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Mark Elkington.