Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Thank you to everyone who helped me drag my boat to shore today

More
3 years 6 months ago#4367by Rupert Greeves
It was an ignominious end to my first attempt to helm/sail a hurricane. In hindsight, it would have been wise to do more research on how to turn it back pointy bit up before going out. I guess choosing a day with less white water would also have been sensible.

I am very grateful to the safety boat who pulled me into the shallows and Mike, Tony, Mark and Bill who waded through stinking mud to help me out - I would have been stuffed without you.

...I have now been on youtube and I'm ready to have another go... Next time I go over it will be on purpose and I'm going to pull the damn thing upright properly!

Rupert 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago#4369by Mark Elkington
My first sail in a 49er - been there, done that, got the T shirt!

More
3 years 6 months ago#4371by Graham Buxton-Smith
Rupert, well done,  very pleased you your son and your new boat is Ok.  The very good news out of this is the Rear Commodore and Tony were probably  cleaner than normal when they got home;  as I had to give them a full cold washing down with the hose when doing my boat to get that Starcross mud off   

I was thinking about explaining to you the best method of righting with a light crew, given the wind was high than expected. Time just ran out before the race and its best to practice with a few capsize artists more experienced than myself during a free sailing day.  We will sort this on a better day.   

More
3 years 6 months ago#4381by John Allen
Hi Rupert,
If you would like a safety boat to be present when you do your capsize drill please let me know.
Safety Boat drivers need the experience, with an instructor alsio present.
John

More
3 years 6 months ago#4382by Graham Buxton-Smith
Hi John,  there has been a lot of interest in capsize training on our round robin Hurricane emails as a result of Rupert and sons adventure on Sunday.  There are serveral methods to right a Hurricane depending on your weight and gymnastic ability.  Basically the fleet would benefit from a training session like you did with me  years ago on a free sailing day without too much wind so we can control things safely and hear each other speak.  We need to dind a date 

More
3 years 6 months ago#4386by Ben Cutler-Sharp
Happy to run a training session for the safety boat crews if you like