Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

To Sail or Not to Sail?

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago#4496by Alistair Glen
To Sail or Not to Sail? was created by Alistair Glen
Having just read the RYA's latest document  RYA Lockdown Guidance I reached the following paragraph...

Can club boat parks and slipways remain open?
Our understanding is that boat parks and their slipways are part of a sporting facility and its amenities and therefore must be closed. However, we believe those that are situated in public outdoor places are not subject to the closure restrictions.

So, much as I'd like go for a sail this weekend, are SYC flying in the face of the RYA's guidance? There is no way that we can pretend that our slipways are in a 'public place'.

Fingers crossed

Alistair
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Alistair Glen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago#4497by Ian Purvis
Replied by Ian Purvis on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
A very fine line Alistair. The slipways are actually in the River Exe at high water. The Exe Port Authority has given written permission for use of the River and Canal for exercise and recreation as have other Port Authorities.The Harbour Master has not put any limitations on that permission. We must decide if, with conditions, we can allow Members to enjoy permitted pleasures. More tomorrow. Currently the site is still open.
Regards
Ian Purvis

More
3 years 5 months ago#4498by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
I shall watch with interest how the Club's greatest minds managed to relocate the top of the slipways to a public place! 

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago#4499by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
See update on Member page

Oddly the sailing clubs at the large reservoirs (Roadford, Grafham, Rutland etc.) appear to be remaining open for sailing - but only for launching by "club members" :-(
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Mark Elkington.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago#4501by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
I think this is because the public are allowed access, by payment or otherwise, to the slipways on those reservoirs, i.e. you can pay a daily launching fee and go sailing there. Not something you could do at a SYC under our current conditions. But I'm not sure about the restriction to 'members only' if that is the rationale behind keeping them open.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Alistair Glen.

More
3 years 5 months ago#4503by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic To Sail or Not to Sail?
Yep - that was what confused me. Surely it could only be open to non-members if the rules are applied.  Unless things have changed recently the public slip ways at Graham are not the same as the 'club' slipways.  

Oh well - trying to apply reason to this is only going to lead to madness!.