× Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Rigging advice for Wanderer 'Pelagia'

2 months 1 week ago #1 by James Wells
Rigging advice for Wanderer 'Pelagia' was created by James Wells
Hello. A friend of mine has recently bought a Wanderer and is after some rigging tips. Can anyone (other than Youtube!) advise?
Apparently 'Pelagia' has Starcross stickers so I'm hoping that someone at the club will have detailed knowledge.  Specifically, they say the boom hangs low at the stern and not sure if a new sail is required or if they have just missed something with the rig.
Thanks in anticipation, James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #2 by Simon deeks
Replied by Simon deeks on topic Rigging advice for Wanderer 'Pelagia'
James, having worked on the club wanderer we raised the sail with out the gooseneck and found Halliard to short so replaced it take care not to loose the tail. Also we replaced the kicker rope and Cunningham. Also make sure the jib fore stay is not to tight as the tension is taken on the jib by a highfield lever. I looked at the wanderer class website before we did the work so that might be worth thinking about. 

See you on the water in the Merlin. 

2 months 1 week ago #3 by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Rigging advice for Wanderer 'Pelagia'
Hi James,

Just to expand on what Simon said....I helped one of our Wanderer owners a couple of years back with much the same (amongst other) problem. Over time, the highfield lever for the jib halyard had worked its way down the mast track, slowly increasing the rake to the point where there was so much rake that the boom was almost on the transom and the boat was almost unsailable, jib hanging like a sack, etc. A peruse of the Wanderer Class website provided a basic rake measurement which put things to rights and the boat became a 'joy to sail' (his words, not mine!).

Alistair

2 months 1 week ago #4 by Ben Cutler-Sharp
Replied by Ben Cutler-Sharp on topic Rigging advice for Wanderer 'Pelagia'
Was the sail definitely at the top of the mast?