Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

John Maltby

More
3 years 1 month ago#4774by Vyv Game
John Maltby was created by Vyv Game
Sad to hear that John Maltby has died. He used to sail Seaflys at SYC (if memory serves) and I think we have some of his ceramics as a trophy. Here is his obituary from today's Guardian. 
John Maltby obituary | Ceramics | The Guardian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago#4778by Paul/Nicky/Greg Bartlett
Replied by Paul/Nicky/Greg Bartlett on topic John Maltby
Sorry to hear this, but a life well lived - yes he was quite the epitome of a salty sea dog, good-natured sailor from our recollections & his ceramic trophies were the biz! We were lucky enough to win this in our ancient Lark racing days when there was usually quite a Seafly turnout,
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Paul/Nicky/Greg Bartlett.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago#4783by Richard Fryer
Replied by Richard Fryer on topic John Maltby
Very sorry to read this. John was good company at the Club (I seem to remember him latterly with a Gull, but I could be wrong), and an encouraging, understanding teacher who gave credit for trying even if ability was lacking (he taught me Art for all too short a time at Caterham in the early 1960s before taking up his true vocation in ceramics). Thanks for the Guardian link, Vyv.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Richard Fryer.

More
3 years 1 month ago#4785by Paul Kelley
Replied by Paul Kelley on topic John Maltby
What very very sad news ! I remember John well - he was a lovely, down-to-earth chap and was a very keen Seafly sailor back in the eighties and also sailed Solos before swapping to the Seafly . As Vyv points out, he did indeed make one of the clubs trophies - the “Crash Boat Trophy” .

My heartfelt sympathies and condolences to Joe and Phillipa !