Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Durable boat covers

More
3 years 1 week ago#4894by Alistair Sellar
Durable boat covers was created by Alistair Sellar
Hi all,

After my last boat cover deteriorated in less than 18 months, I'm looking for advice on what to look for to ensure that a cover is durable. Despite being advertised as having a UV-protective treatment, it became flaky in just over a year and easily ripped not long after.

Any tips please?

Thanks,
Alistair

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago#4895by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Durable boat covers
Hi Alistair,

Most people swear by:

www.rainandsun.co.uk - well made with a variety of material options, durable and decent value;
or
creationcovers.co.uk - Rolls Royce of covers but a bit pricier.

You can get cheaper covers but they either don't fit properly or last very long in the sun down here in the SW.

Alistair (Glen)

More
3 years 1 week ago#4896by Ben Cutler-Sharp
Replied by Ben Cutler-Sharp on topic Durable boat covers
Keep it local in the club - Exe sails...

More
3 years 1 week ago#4898by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Durable boat covers
Hi Alistair -

If like me you don't like putting a heavy, green slimy cover on the boat get one made using Weathermax.  Most good cover makers will make one for you - they cost about 20% more than a cotton one and 40% more than a simple polyester one. . The one I bought for my previous Merlin Rocket (the grey one - near the road next to the ladies changing room) is still going strong in its 6th season.  They are much lighter to put on, generally fit better, and don't go slimy.  They are also easy to reproof with fabsil. Have a look at the one on my current Merlin for an example of a Weathermax cover made by Creation Covers.

I think Rain and Sun prefer to sell the 'Hydralite'-polyester materail which is heavier and stiffer than Weathermax.  If you are going to tow the boat a lot then people say that Hydralite is a better material.  There are also some example R&S covers on Merlins at the club

Exe sails offer both Weathermax or Hydralite.  I'm sure there will be some examples at the club.

I also had a pretty good long-lasting cover for my RS200 from Trident - I think they call their material Hydroguard (I think this is a lighter weight version of the Rain and Sun Hydralite.

Mark

More
3 years 22 hours ago#4951by Alistair Sellar
Replied by Alistair Sellar on topic Durable boat covers
Brilliant, thanks everyone.

Alistair