Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Racing 23rd May

• Alistair Glen
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago#5102by Alistair Glen
Racing 23rd May was created by Alistair Glen
Sorry but if it is obvious that, as posted on the website this morning, it is HIGHLY unlikely, saving a meterological quirk, that there will be any racing, why drag all those rostered to do a duty over to SYC just to send them home again? 
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Alistair Glen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago#5105by Robin Charles
Replied by Robin Charles on topic Racing 23rd May
Alistair. The wind did actually drop a couple of hours later, as predicted. The forecasts had been moving around over the preceding 24 hours. As you might know, I am a pilot and have flown all over Europe and the UK in light aircraft. In marginal weather, in order to avoid what is nicely known as Controlled Flight into Terrain, I always use the best met. information available. However , even then I can think of two incidences in the UK and France where the up to date aviation forecasts were 2 hours out for frontal movements , necessitating in-flight plan changes. Some Starcross YC examples as well .Rightly or wrongly , I feel the need to give around 24 hours notice of cancellation; thus my update flag of yesterday morning after extensive consultations with the OOD.
Robin

• Alistair Glen
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
2 years 10 months ago#5106by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Racing 23rd May
I think the first sentence of your reply sums up my 'grievance' (if that's the right word) precisely. The weather did what it was forecast (by all the forecasts I saw) to do. The Free Sailing on Saturday was cancelled on the back of a forecast that was far more likely to result in a manageable breeze than was the case for Sunday.

The point I made was on behalf of those with no choice, unlike sailors/racers, whether or not to turn up but those obliged, by virtue of performing a voluntary duty, to pursue a 'fools errand'.

Roll on a return to normality.