Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Ellie Poole

• crispin Taylor
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago#454by crispin Taylor
Ellie Poole was created by crispin Taylor
Hi Fellow SYC members and sailors. I'm posting ths because I think that our great club should honour and recognise a great sailor.
The sailor in question is none other than Ellie Poole who won last years Topper national becoming the 1st female to do so and also the 1st SYC youth to win a championship. Topping that she is also RYA young sailor of the year!

I want SYC to nominate a trophy in her name and suggest it could be for the 1st female youth at the steamer as a perpetual trophy.
I don't know Ellie but I can only imagine from my won experience of only ever having won 1 race at a nationals that it takes real commitment and stamina to out sail lots of other young people in a major event; she is a credit to SYC, young women & girls hence why I think SYC should take this opportunity to recognise such an exceptional member of our great club!
many thanks, Crispin B14 762 :)
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by crispin Taylor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael Commander
8 years 2 weeks ago#469by Michael Commander
Replied by Michael Commander on topic Ellie Poole
Like Crispin, I don't know Ellie but I do follow youth sailing quite avidly and again like Crispin I know how hard it is to win a race at a Nationals let alone the whole event. And so I support Crispin's initiative to nominate a trophy to Ellie Poole following her great achievements in the Topper. Recognising youth sailing and particularly the achievements of young women and girls is something we should all support if the sport we all love is to grow, thrive and prosper. So let's all support this initiative...
Mike :)

• Clare McKillop
8 years 2 weeks ago#470by Clare McKillop
Replied by Clare McKillop on topic Ellie Poole
Ellie was also awarded the Alan Hidden Memorial Trophy by the Old Gaffers Association for "An outstanding performance by a young person". She skippered her Grandfather's 1898 gaff cutter 'Wender' to a win at the Dartmouth Regatta. There is obviously a fine racing brain there!

More info at: www.oga.org.uk/trophies/alan-hidden-memorial

Clare.

• Alistair Hellewell
7 years 9 months ago#634by Alistair Hellewell
Replied by Alistair Hellewell on topic Ellie Poole
I wholeheartedly support the inauguration of a cup in Ellie's honour for all the reasons that people have added on this forum. Having a son who is currently racing in the Topper fleet, having seen the commitment to trading and racing in all conditions this year and the fact that he is about to attend his first Nationals there is no doubt that Ellie sailed superbly last year to win the event. A trophy would be a fitting tribute.

Kind regards,
Alistair

• crispin Taylor
  • Topic Author
7 years 8 months ago#719by crispin Taylor
Replied by crispin Taylor on topic Ellie Poole
So racing committee...any process with this?