Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Please consider ammending Hurricane result

More
1 year 8 months ago#6308by Graham Buxton-Smith
Please consider ammending Hurricane result was created by Graham Buxton-Smith
Hi Kieth RO for last nights race Wed 10 August.  You clearly did not pick up  Hurricane 390 entered without his listed  crew onboard.   James the helm clearly "to us " sailed single handed without Oliver as listed ,  his normal crew. 

No real safety or interferance problem given the very light condtions but 
my understand when on the sailing commitee years ago "allbeit "was that you could only claim points if it was a special single hander race. Please could you discuss this with Robin C.  VICE COM and make any resulting adjustments required.  Many thanks

Regards Graham Hur 485

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago#6309by Robin Charles
Replied by Robin Charles on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
The view we have always taken is that if a class is defied as a 2 man boat , it needs to be sailed as such for the results to count.
I have  actually sailed a Merlin on Boxing Day myself (for some reason the family were doing other things!) and didn't enter the race.
Robin Charles

More
1 year 8 months ago#6310by Grant Boorer
Replied by Grant Boorer on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Hi. I was in the race box with Jonathan Carr. We did notice the single handed hurricane.  Is there a written rule about this somewhere or is it that it invalidates the PY number? Grant

More
1 year 8 months ago#6312by Graham Buxton-Smith
Replied by Graham Buxton-Smith on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Hi Grant.  Unlike the Dart, the Hurricane class rules state it is a two person boat when racing. Helm and crew  

Please note the smaller  Dart 18 can race with just a helm under its class rules by removing its jib. There is no provison in the current Hurricane rules to do this or change the PY rating to even up the weight advantage. 

In my opinion you should therefore take Robin Clarles advice and not awards any points to Hur390 in this race. 

If you have any issues Ben Cutler- Sharp is a SYC club member and Chairperson of the Hurricane Association and knows the rules inside out.

Also l have been warned in the past that  racing singled handed in a  Hurricane  is against the racing rules and insurance may not cover you , but Ben could confirm.the current situation .

It is also very hard for one person of average weight to get the boat up after a capize so there is a safety issue.

Cheers Graham

More
1 year 8 months ago#6313by David Lee
Replied by David Lee on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Hi Graham 

Whilst it may have been clear James had no crew aboard, we can't just amend the result in this case.  If the Hurricane class rules state that there should be two crew members, then the correct approach would be to register a protest under RRS 78.1, compliance with class rules.

The protest should have been registered within the  time limit for the race (30 minutes after last finisher) so unfortunately I don't think there is an official recourse now.  However, James might choose to retire if the class rule has been brought to his attention?

Merlin Rocket 3779 The Angels' Share
Merlin Rocket 3546 Gilt Complex

More
1 year 8 months ago#6314by Graham Buxton-Smith
Replied by Graham Buxton-Smith on topic Please consider ammending Hurricane result
Thanks Dave ,

I did not have any real objection to James  joining in with the race at the last min. As the wind was light and he kept well out of my way , l just did not expect him to claim points. 

By the time we all got back to the race box it was locked up and no results were posted on the window. Only read the result at home, clearly too late for a protest. 

As a newbe to the fleet  l can understand James  may not have realised under the Hurricane rules you need a crew.  He should have signed on with the crew slot left blank however to comply with sign on rules.

Hopefully James who  will now retire when  he reads this forum and understands the Hurricane rules.

Regards Graham