Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Wet/Drysuit when sailing

More
1 year 2 months ago#6728by Andy Bartram
Wet/Drysuit when sailing was created by Andy Bartram
I have just been perusing the club website to see if there is any recommended minimum safety equipment requirement.
Having helped Aidan swap his boat on to a new trolley, I was one of the last at the club. I noticed a trolley leaning on the wall and wondered who it belonged. As it happened a Wayfarer was coming in, so wheeled their trolley down and talking to them noticed they were not wearing wet or drysuits and the helm was bearfoot, brave bloke! Comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago#6730by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Wet/Drysuit when sailing
Andy - we have something in the Sailing Instructions - but this only applies to Racing

More
1 year 2 months ago#6733by Andy Bartram
Replied by Andy Bartram on topic Wet/Drysuit when sailing
I believe that is club racing rule during winter months.
I was a bit concerned last Sunday as Aidan and I were on Rescue Boat Duty and spotted the same Barefoot Wayfarer with flapping sails just south of the Turf and therefore went to investige. As we aproached and confirmed they were ok they did a near capsized gybe. At that time we didn't realise they were club members. As the water must have been about 8 degrees it doesn't give much margin for error with no thermal protection. 

More
1 year 2 months ago#6734by Vyv Game
Replied by Vyv Game on topic Wet/Drysuit when sailing
At Grafham Water, where, last millennium, I learnt to.sail, they flew a black flag in the winter months which meant you had to wear a wetsuit on the water.  (Don't think drysuits had been invented then)
Perhaps we should adopt a similar practice?

More
1 year 2 months ago#6735by Alistair Glen
Replied by Alistair Glen on topic Wet/Drysuit when sailing
On most of the large reservoirs that are 'owned' by the big water companies, it is a stipulation that you have to wear a steamer/drysuit during winter and wetsuit covering legs and arms during the rest of the year.

On another but kindred topic, it always concerns me when safety boat crews turn up totally unprepared to be on the water for several hours (even in summer), let alone provide assistance to a vessel in difficulty. Doesn't PB2 contain some element of training about appropriate dress/equipment for the conditions?

More
1 year 2 months ago#6736by steve peat
Replied by steve peat on topic Wet/Drysuit when sailing
Was the same at Oxford, drysuits compulsory during the winter

General Committee agenda item?