Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

WANTED - PC innards expert

More
11 months 17 hours ago#6921by Mark Elkington
WANTED - PC innards expert was created by Mark Elkington
Hi

The micro PC (Beelink GK55) we use for entering races and recording leisure sailing has a problem.  I have temporarily replaced it with an old PC while we sort out the issue.

The PC is just out of warranty to add to the buggeration factor.  From cold it starts as expected - loads Windows (11) and runs just fine and dandy.  After about 40 - 50 minutes it reports an error "unable to find media" - it often recovers for a few minutes but the outages become more frequent.  Starting from warmish it will run for 10-15 minutes before the problem occurs.  I am by no means a hardware expert, but from searching t'internet it seems that, a possible cause may be the SDD storage not being properly seated.

Now I could take the back off the PC and have a poke around - but with VERY little idea of what I am doing.  Is there anyone out there in SYC land who knows their way around the guts of a modern PC and would be willing to have a look.

Here's hoping

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 weeks ago#6924by Andy Bartram
Replied by Andy Bartram on topic WANTED - PC innards expert
Mark, 
Is it just getting overheated. Take the back off and give it a good blow out. That would be my Step 1.
Andy

More
10 months 4 weeks ago - 10 months 4 weeks ago#6925by Andy Bartram
Replied by Andy Bartram on topic WANTED - PC innards expert
If that is the problem Step2, sit it on a lump of 1/2 inch plate as a heat sink. Just thought of something if it misbehaves try blowing some of that aerosol air/ keyboard cleaner to cool it down. I used to use it when fault finding electronic.

Andy
Last edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by Andy Bartram.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago#6934by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic WANTED - PC innards expert
HI Andy
I don't think it is overheatng - certainly the case isn't even warm
Mark