Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep

• Tim Laws
  • Topic Author
7 years 8 months ago#668by Tim Laws
Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep was created by Tim Laws
Kayak and Surfski Day

On Saturday 10th September we will be holding a surfski and kayak demo day at the club. There will be a range of stable surfskis provided by Epic Kayaks, as well as sit-on-top and sit-in kayaks supplied by the Sea Scouts. The event will be running from 11am until 4pm in parallel with the free-sailing day, with rescue cover provided.

Refreshments will be available from the galley. Please bring a normal paddling/sailing kit, a change of clothes and a towel.

There will be a paddling clinic (12pm) from Jim Taylor-Ross, Exeter Canoe Club Racing Coach, focusing on efficient forward paddling technique.

What is a surfski?

Surfskis are long, narrow, lightweight kayaks with a sit-on-top cockpit and a foot-pedal controlled rudder. Recent years have seen the advent of stable surfski designs suitable for day-tripping and fast touring, as well as playing in the waves:

vimeo.com/124658062

The Epic V5s & V7s available on the day are typical of the latest surfskis – much faster than conventional sit-on-tops and many sea kayaks, whilst being stable enough for novice paddlers to just get in and go!

www.epickayaks.com/article/article/v5

For further details contact:

Eleanor Thomas: 07533792477

Tim Laws: 07908040882

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tim Laws
  • Topic Author
7 years 8 months ago#728by Tim Laws
Replied by Tim Laws on topic Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep
It all starts (and the rain should be finished...) at 11:00 and safety cover will finish at 14:00. The barbecue will be lit for lunch at 13:00 and burgers will be on sale. Bring your own salad!

More
7 years 8 months ago#732by Nick Jones
Replied by Nick Jones on topic Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep
Many, many thanks Eleanor, Tim and Vyv (the latter probably now a world record holder for the longest time manning a BBQ) B)

Great day. Really enjoyed the chance to try the Epic kayaks.

More
7 years 8 months ago#733by Rupert Greeves
Replied by Rupert Greeves on topic Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep
A big thank you from me and my family. My kids really enjoyed using the kayaks - it was their first time.

More
7 years 8 months ago#734by Edward Venmore
Replied by Edward Venmore on topic Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep
And thanks from me as well. My son loved it.

I think the free sailing days this year have been a great success

• Tim Laws
  • Topic Author
7 years 8 months ago#735by Tim Laws
Replied by Tim Laws on topic Kayak and Surfski Day - 10th Sep
I think Eleanor and myself both went home and passed out! I'm not sure we were expecting such an enthusiastic response - I think we had in excess of 45 people try the skis and I think most of the kids had multiple goes!

If anyone would like to get themselves a shiny new boat, then have a look at Jim's Epic Kayaks UK website.

:)