Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #1

• Mark Elkington
  • Mark Elkington's Avatar Topic Author
Hi - we are looking for "user" feedback on the proposed new fleet structure for the club series racing as described in the website article ( Click here for the article )

We would welcome any comments you may have - including suggestions for other fleet structures. The earliest any changes might be introduced is the Autumn Series

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #2

The number of RS200s has reduced dramatically over the last few years. With the proposals I think you will find that the number of double-handed boats in the slow handicap will be very low, as it is at the moment on Wednesday evenings. I have found that sometimes I am in the only double-handed boat. In view of this I would prefer to be in the asymmetric class, as was done in the past, so we can see how we perform against similar types of boats.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #3

Hi
This is not going to be very helpful! But when I can sail my 200 I do quite enjoy the round the cans courses, it is always frustrating to be in a minority of one whatever fleet or class you are in...the answer is to get more boats out! Maybe a compromise of upwind down wind on a wednesday and round the cans at the weekends! The 200 is considerably slower than the 800/B14's and is likely to be lapped in longer asymetric races. It would be interesting to hear Charlottes views and any other 200 owners

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #4

Since the Aero 9's PY dropped to 1019 it puts them in the Fast Fleet. I know that 1020 is a nice round number but it might be an idea (or courtesy) to ask Mark, Richard, Greg, et al, if they would prefer to be in the Fast or Slow Fleets. Selfishly, I would like to see them in the Singlehanded/Slow fleet unless they have a strong preference to chase the Merlins and Hornets.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #5

• Mark Elkington
Thanks Alistair - I hadn't spotted that the Aero9 had slipped under the 1020 barrier (which given I sit on the RYA's handicap panel is probably a bit remiss of me ;-). The intent was certainly to include the Aero 9s in the slow handicap fleet.

If the Sailing Committee decides to proceed with the proposal I'll probably express the thresholds as Aero-9 or slower so that we don't have to keep chagning the SIs as the handicaps get tweaked each year..

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #6

Hi Mark,

I was the laser blasting around on my own in champagne conditions 6 weeks ago.In that instance,
I would have definitely benefited from being in handicap instead!

Recalling a while back when lasers were in slow handicap, there is one issue with pointing characteristics of the laser and two-sailed boats (e.g. Wayfarer). A laser can get a better upwind start, but can get rolled by a two-sailed boat with comparable PY by being able to point higher. I doubt there is a solution, but this was one technical benefit of having our own start (or possibly a single-hander start).

The decline in the laser fleet may have two contributors. Firstly, in recent times the average age has got higher, and those of us in that bracket are only able to commit intermittently. Secondly, and related, there is significantly less feed from junior/youth ages (which relates to another post). With a bit of experience, these guys normally become the fastest in the fleet, so should be encouraged
to join in.

Hope that helps.

Bob Beare
Laser 200838

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #7

I have recently acquired an RS200 but having only done a couple of Sunday races so far I don’t really have a strong view as to which fleet they are in. Whatever the decision is I hope to be out as often as I can to boost the numbers. On a different but related point I am very pleased to see the proposals to add a junior start. I have two kids who are keen to do more racing (topper/oppy) and this will allow them to do that without having to travel to events.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #8

• Mark Elkington
Hi Jim
Good to hear that we have a new RS200 in the club. I spent several great seasons sailing with my kids in an RS200 - it is a really good boat for SYC.
I don't know whether your two kids sail on the Friday night junior sessions but from my experience with my kids, they have more confidence and enjoyment racing when they do it in "packs" - so if you get a chance to encourage others in their friday night training groups to give Sunday/Wednesday racing a try that would be great.
regards
Mark

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #9

Hi I have a Full Sprit which I sail single handed, would this be allowed and what would the Pn be.
Regards

Rod Freer 2721

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 5 months 1 week ago #10

• Mark Elkington
Hi Rod
I haven't come across a "Full Sprit" class before - can you send me a link to some information about the boat.

The general principle is that any boat should be allowed to race under the Portsmouth Handicap system. If it doesn't have a PN (which I'm pretty sure the Full Sprit doesn't) then a provisional PN can be allocated by the sailing committee based on comparison with similar boats, or by participating in some test races.

I'm at the club most race days in Merlin 3797 - I'll be happy to talk through how we could handle this and how to enter a race.

Mark

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 4 months 3 weeks ago #11

I personally think keeping all the asymmetric dinghies together, the single handed together and the conventional spinnaker boats together makes perfect sense as I find that some of the single handed boats have a detrimental effect in our fast handicap fleet.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 4 months 3 weeks ago #12

• Mark Elkington
Thanks Steve - I suspect the single handed folks might think those of us sailing our clinker sheds take up a bit too much room as well :-).

It seems like the general concept of the change is sound - but there are some boats that might suffer from the change e.g:

Aero 9 - generally going to be leading the proposed slow/single handed fleet by quite a margin (though the new Farr 3.7 might give them a run for their money when the wind is up). Would they prefer to remain in the fast handicap.

RS200 - an argument could be made for class to be in any of the three fleets - but they are going to be some way behind in the Asymmetric and Fast Handicap fleets, and would at least have boat on boat racing in the slow handicap against H2, Aero 7s etc..

Fast Handicap Remainers (!) - if the split comes in at a PN 1020 the fleet on Sundays will essentially be a couple of Hornets, a Fireball, and the Merlins; the racing is great in the Merlins at the moment but we'll need to keep the numbers up to make it viable.

Anyway keep your views coming. If you want to put a 'consensus' class view to the sailing committee make sure your fleet captain is briefed accordingly before the next meeting on 31 July.

regards

Mark

Last edit: by Mark Elkington.

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 4 months 2 weeks ago #13

Typo? 'Gull Spirit' perhaps?

Feedback - Proposed Race Format Change 3 months 3 weeks ago #14

• Mark Elkington
The Sailing Committee have decided to implement the change to the Sunday Series race format starting in October with the Autumn Series. The change will be reviewed towards the end of the Frostbite Season.

The web article has been updated - please read it so you know which fleet you will be starting in for the next series.

Thanks to those of you who provided written and verbal feedback on the proposal.

Last edit: by Mark Elkington.
  • Page: