Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Where to get gelcoat

• James Penn
  • Topic Author
5 years 6 months ago#2387by James Penn
Where to get gelcoat was created by James Penn
I need to get some clear gelcoat to make repairs to my daggerboard, any recommendations on where I can buy some in/around Exeter?
Cheers,
James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago#2390by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Where to get gelcoat
James
Dove Meadows in Newton Abbot has it - I live close by and could pick it up.

If it is just a small repair I have a can - and you are welcome to use it (I also have white, black and navy blue pigments). I could bring it down the club on Saturday.

You should be aware that clear gelcoat has a pinky tint - it is really meant to be used with pigment. If you want a high gloss really transparent repair then polyester resign might be better.

Also it is "unwaxed" so you need to cover the repair to get it to set.

Mark

• James Penn
  • Topic Author
5 years 6 months ago#2404by James Penn
Replied by James Penn on topic Where to get gelcoat
Thanks for your reply Mark. I was advised by RS to use clear gelcoat with white pigment on the bottom of the board, and without pigment to replace a small section of the black carbon trailing edge, where I suppose the slight pink tinge isn't obvious.

I was in Cornwall all of last week, so picked up some white gelcoat repair in the chandlery in Penryn whilst I was there. I'll give it a go with the gelcoat repair and will see how that holds, if not I may well take you up on your kind offer of a bit from your tin!