Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Freesailing 6 Oct weather forecast

More
5 years 5 months ago#2443by Ed Richings
Freesailing 6 Oct weather forecast was created by Ed Richings
The weather forecast doesn't look favourable for freesailing on Sat 6th Oct. Can anyone make an earlyish call if this will go ahead or be cancelled due to the predicted weather? Regards Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago#2444by Aidan Whiteley
Replied by Aidan Whiteley on topic Freesailing 6 Oct weather forecast
If you ignore the BBC weather / wind forecasts, it getting worse, isn't it :P

If the WindGuru and Met Office weather forecasts haven't changed significantly by 19:00 tonight, then as the OOD I'll cancel it and post here and put something on the website front page as well.

I'm a bit reluctant to cancel too far in advance - it's not a dinghy cruise going miles from the club and races are very rarely cancelled much in advance.

Aidan

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago#2445by Aidan Whiteley
Replied by Aidan Whiteley on topic Freesailing 6 Oct weather forecast
Friday 19:00 - forecast for Saturday at 16:00...

WindGuru: F7 gusting F8
Met Office Inshore: F5 or F6, occasionally F7
Met Office (Exe Estuary): F5 gusting F7
XC Weather: F7 to F8
BBC weather: "Moderate breeze" / F4

I'd venture that BBC weather forecasts for wind have been somewhat random since MeteoGroup took over so I'm going to ignore that one (go on - who has has a different opinion on MeteoGroup's wind forecasts of late?).

So the only people who ought to be sailing tomorrow are experienced sailors looking for strong wind practice but not on a race day. Not the main target audience for a Free Sailing Day I'd hazard to guess. Given that, and that we only have one safety boat rostered, the Free Sailing tomorrow is, unfortunately, canceled.

Liz and I will be at the club tomorrow to explain to anyone who doesn't see this and, no doubt, to bask in the glorious sun and F3 that will almost certainly turn up.

Aidan
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Aidan Whiteley. Reason: Typos

More
5 years 5 months ago#2447by Ed Richings
Replied by Ed Richings on topic Freesailing 6 Oct weather forecast
Thanks for the update Aidan. My safetyboat crewmate and I would of course do our rostered duty, but the forecast does not look at all promising. So thanks for making the early call, which will save 2 hours of possibly wasted travel for me! Batten down the hatches - maybe! Regards Ed