Welcome to the General Topics forum!

A forum for all for all general topics. This forum is publicly visible.

Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?

More
2 years 2 months ago#5742by Mark Elkington
Did anyone get a PC for Xmas? was created by Mark Elkington
Hi

I need to upgrade the PC we use for signing on in the members room.  It is running a prehistoric operating system and the power supply is somewhat tempremental.

If you have a surplus PC - any make, any spec (as long as it is running Linux or Windows 7 (or later)) and you would be willing to donate it to the club please let me know.  We don't need any of the peripherals (keyboard, screen, mouse).  I will make sure the hard disk is completely cleared before it is used at the club.

thanks

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago#5743by Mr Timothy Evans
Replied by Mr Timothy Evans on topic Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?
Hi Mark, I have an Apple Mac Pro I was getting rid of, I know it is quite old (2007), but it runs windows 10 and you are welcome to it - if it is of any use?
Tim

More
2 years 2 months ago#5744by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?
Hi Tim

Thanks for the kind offer of the Mac Pro. I'd prefer to see if I can get a Windows/Linux box as I have more experience with the OS and BIOS on those machines - and it s more consistent with the rest of the SYC IT setup.  I was a fan of Apple back in the day - but unfortunately that was a long long time ago.

If I draw a blank I'll be back in touch.

regards

Mark

More
2 years 2 months ago#5749by Jonathan Gosling
Replied by Jonathan Gosling on topic Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?
Hi Mark, I can give you a windows laptop. But it also is old ... maybe 6 years. If a laptop is in principle OK, I can bring it on Sunday you can look and assess. 

Jonathan G.

More
2 years 2 months ago#5751by Mark Elkington
Replied by Mark Elkington on topic Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?
Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the offer of the laptop. For various reasons a laptop wouldn't work in the current setup without a lot of rework (re-cabling, new shelf etc.). Ultimately I'm hoping the club will be able to invest in some refurbished equipment later in 2022 and at that point we will invest the effort in getting the installation work done properly. The problem is that I haven't really got my head around exactly what we need for the next few years (multiple stations, tablets vss PCs vss laptops, results display in club house etc.). So what I'm looking for now is a sort of like-for-like replacement for the current sign on PC to see us through a few months while I do the thinking required and produce a plan for review by the sailing and general committees.

regards

Mark

More
2 years 2 months ago#5758by Bruce Watt
Replied by Bruce Watt on topic Did anyone get a PC for Xmas?
Hi Mark. I have  a very old Dell Insperon Tower gathering dust. It has Windows 7 Home Premium 2009. The processor is Intel Celeron 450 @ 2,20 GHz. It runs really slowly but perhaps is adequate for the racing-login application (particularly after you tune it up!)? Regards Bruce
Attachments: